Thursday, October 03, 2013

Oven Baked Chicken and Onions

This is a dish I vividly remember being in regular rotation when I was growing up. It's so easy and tastes so good that it's now in my rotation and I'm sure my kids will have similar memories! This is adapted from the recipe for Oven-Sauteed Garlic Chicken in Sunset's Quick Meals with Fresh Foods. (Which was one of the first cookbooks my mother gave me when I went out to live on my own.) Basically, I cut down on the butter significantly and added lots more onions and pan sauce. There are never enough onions in this dish! 

Ideally, serve this over spaghetti, linguine, or another pasta that can hold the sauce. Any leftover sauce, onions, and chicken make an amazing base for a chicken vegetable soup!

Oven Baked Chicken and Onions

Ingredients

4Tbutter    salt and pepper to taste
4lgonions, thinly sliced and separated into rings    1cketchup
4-6chicken pieces (boned or boneless)    1cdry white wine
2tpaprika    6clovesgarlic, peeled

Instructions

Place butter in a 10"x15" rimmed baking dish; set in oven while it preheats to 425 degrees F. When butter is melted, scatter onion rings over bottom of pan. Cover with foil and bake 10-15 minutes or until onions start to soften.

Arrange chicken over onions. Sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper.

In a small bowl, stir together ketchup and wine; carefully pour into pan (but not directly over chicken). Tuck garlic cloves among chicken.

Bake, covered at 425 for 20-30 mins. Uncover and bake another 10-15 mins or until done. Discard garlic and serve chicken with onions and pan sauce.

No comments: